I had made a Chai Tea Concentrate in the past, but I only used Lipton tea bags to make the concentrate. Now, at home, I have access to a huge bag of real India Chai Tea leaves! I figured I would make a delicious concentrate for my sister in the morning to take to work instead of spending money at the chain coffee shops. Plus, this isn’t the sweet, bland flavored chai you get at those chain shops – this is the real deal! I placed quotations around ‘Latte’ because when coffee/chai drinks are iced, it is impossible for it to be a latte since lattes are with steamed milk hahah. Just a minor snooty thing I learned from my past as a barista. If the milk were to be steamed, and it be a hot drink, then the drink would contain some milk with light foam for it to be a latte! Thus, there is literally no point in ordering an ‘iced latte’ at coffee shops – you can just order double/single espresso over ice, and then pour milk over the counter. Same exact thing. Just fyi!
You can get the Chai Tea leaves at any Indian market!
Ingredients (~5 servings)
5 tbsp Indian Chai Tea leaves
4.5 cups of water
6 cardamon pods
1 tbsp black peppercorns, whole
3 star anise
1-2 cinnamon stick
1 3-inch knob of ginger, sliced
2/3 cup brown sugar (1 cup if you want it a tad bit sweeter)
1. Place water into a pot along with the Chai Tea leaves.
2. Add the cardamon pods, black peppercorns, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger.
3. Bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat and cover. This will allow the tea and spices to steep.
4. Once the mixture has steeped/cooled about 20-30 min, strain the concentrate!
5. Pour the liquid into a glass bottle and place it in the fridge!
6. I usually mix 2 parts soy milk with 1 part concentrate. Should be perfect!!! But play around with it for your liking!