Sorry about my weeks long hiatus on posting-just been super busy with school and finals are coming up! Along with that hectic schedule, I have a knack for craving comfort foods. I am not much of a cheese person, (I don’t like cheeseboards or even brie cheese that much), but I LOVE mac&cheese!!! I like them soupy, like Souplantation’s, or baked, like gourmet. So you ask, why did I decide to make such a fancy mac&cheese in the midst of my busy schedule? Well, I was walking around Food4Less one day, and I stumbled upon some cooked, frozen lobster tails for only $5! I am used to eating fresh ones, so I wasn’t going to bring it home to make a surf and turf, but I thought it’d be a great idea to throw the lobster meat into mac&cheese to fancy it up a bit! When I finally pounded the lobster tail open though, I realized that there probably wasn’t enough for my dish, so I decided to throw in some shrimp for some added meat and seafood! Turned out delicious!!!
8 oz. pasta [I used rigatoni]
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups milk [I used 2%]
6 oz. Gruyere cheese [I bought it at Trader Joe’s], shredded
4 oz. Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lobster tail meat, cut into chunks
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Cook the pasta until its almost done, but not quite there [al dente] (When you bite into it, there’s still a little bit of hardness to it, but just a wee bit). Drain pasta. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized pot, melt 3 tbsp butter on med-high heat.
3. Stir in flour, mix constantly and thoroughly, so it doesnt stick and burn.
4. Add the milk, salt, black pepper. Stir until mixed through.
5. Cook the mixture for about 5 min, until boiling, and is thickening. Stir constantly.
6. Take the pot off the stove.
7. Mix in the cheeses.
8. Mix the pasta in.
9. Mix the lobster and shrimp in. Add more black pepper, cayenne pepper to taste.
10. Place in baking dish. I had to bake 2 batches in my au gratin dish. You can use a 8×8 pan too if you would like!
11. Melt the 1 tbsp of butter leftover and mix it with the panko bread crumbs.
12. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top.
13. Bake at 400 deg. for 20-25 min, until crumbs are toasty brown and cheese is bubbling.
14. Place chives on top of the mac&cheese! Serve!!!
|I served it with Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus. Details in my next post.|