Mmm beef and barley. Usually at restaurants, it is super salty and I always have to add water. Why not make it at home? The meat used is lean so it isnt as oily. I added kale and mushrooms because those are like my two favorite things. Did you know barley is part of the grass family? Weird, I know. It is also used to ferment for beer and other distilled beverages. It is a high fiber and high protein grain- perfect for my obsession to get skinny with protein and lots of fiber. It is so delicious, I am so happy with the way it turned out!
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 pounds of beef round stew meat
3 small carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1-1.5 cups of kale, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
8 cups water
salt and pepper
2-3 bay leaves
2/3 cup-1 cup barley [I used Trader Joes 10 min. barley]
1. In a large pot, heat oil and place the beef in there.
2. Brown the meat.
3. Add the carrots, onion, kale, mushroom, garlic, salt & pepper, bay leaves, water.
4. Let it boil for 10 min. Turn to low heat and simmer for 2 hours. [Until meat is soft]
5. Take the big beef chunks out and slice them and place it back into the soup
6. Add the barley into the soup. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.