So by the last day of my cleanse, I really was bored of all the drinks- the flavors, the drinking, the taste [although I really liked it as a juice]. I am supposed to ween off the diet by slowly incorporating fats and oils, but I really just wanted real food so I decided to make a baked ziti. I found this baked ziti recipe at Pioneer Woman’s blog! She does a great job documenting all the steps and her thoughts during. Its a great read, so if anyone is interested, check her blog out periodically! =)
***For my recipe, I made it so it fit a 9×9 square pan, not a 9×12 pan since I am only feeding myself.
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 pound Italian sausage meat [not the links]
1/2 pound ground beef
1 can Whole Tomatoes, 28 oz, with juice [I used Hunts]
1 can, 14 oz, tomato sauce or marinara
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp italian seasoning
salt and pepper
8 oz of cooked penne [not cooked through entirely, but close enough]
1/2 tub ricotta [I used low fat]
3/4 cup Italian mix cheese [I used the ready shredded pack labeled Italian]
1 whole egg
1. Heat olive oil, garlic, onions in pan. Cook until yellow/brown
2. Add meat. Cook it through until all brown.
3. Transfer to pot. Pour in whole tomatoes and tomato sauce
4. Add in seasonings, salt and pepper
5. Let that mixture simmer for 30 minutes on Low-ish Med.
6. Cook penne pasta and strain. Set aside
7. Mix the ricotta, the cheese, and the pasta together. Put in some of the sauce after its done simmering. Mix.
8. Place some sauce on bottom of pan.
9. Place half the pasta into it. Put some sauce on top
10. Place the last half of the pasta into it and pour the rest of the sauce on top.
11. Put some more mozzarella/italian cheese on top.
12. Sprinkle some parsley on top!
13. Bake at 375 deg. for 20-30 min. Until cheese bubbly
I LOVE PASTA. I will have plenty of pasta dishes on this blog FOR SURE! =)