I still have never been to Momofuku Milk Bar! But I have the cookbook and have been making a ton of stuff since I got it back in 2011. If anyone asks what to buy me, please buy me a cookbook. I want to build a collection of those in my house library someday. Also any coffee table book or good novel you are reading at the moment. I actually talked about having a library in my home with some friends this weekend. I want a real old looking library, with black cherry wooden shelves and desk. I want a spinning globe in there and a big world map framed on the wall. I love the way old libraries look – walking in there, you can feel the wealth of knowledge that surrounds you. Feel the wealth of works created from people and the amount of stuff you can learn in the world. I have always been the person who wants to learn everything and see everything because I am interested in everything. We are only in one life, so why not make it one full of intellect and memories? Learning other people’s points of views gives perspective and also vigor to your own beliefs.
I made these cookies because I had more than half a box of leftover Corn Flakes from when I made my Oven Fried Chicken. I had guests over during the long weekend so I wanted to give them something to snack on. Momofuku’s cookies are always super buttery and sweet so beware. But everyone LOVED them so this one was definitely a winner.
Ingredients (~14-16 large cookies)
2 sticks of butter (16 tbsp), room temp
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups Cornflake Crunch, see below
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups mini marshmallows
3 cups corn flakes
1/3 cup milk powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
7 tbsp butter, melted
1. Make the Cornflake Crunch. Mix together all the ingredients and toast in the oven at 275 deg. for about 20 min. Set aside to let cool.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 min on medium speed.
3. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat for about 7 min.
4. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and mix for only about 1 min, right when everything seems mixed together.
5. Mix in the Cornflake Crunch and chocolate chips.
6. Mix in the marshmallows.
7. Shape into big round balls, about the size of a 1/3 cup. Freeze for at least an hour (or more if you want to! Doesn’t hurt). DO NOT skip the freezing step.
8. Preheat oven to 360 deg. Take out the frozen cookie balls and on a large baking sheet, space out the cookies far apart. The cookies will spread a lot, so give them room. For my large pan, I only put 6.
9. Bake the cookies in the 360 deg. oven for about 13-15 min. Make sure you keep an eye on them at the 10 min. mark. I don’t like my cookies crispy, so I watched it – right when it turned light brown/golden and still a little puffy (underbaked) I took it out right around the 13 min. mark. It was perfect! The color of the cookie should be light-golden brown, with slightly crispy toffee looking edges.
10. Let cool on the sheet before removing them. If you try to move it before it cools down about 85%, it will be mushy (because of the marshmallow and all that butter), and you will have an ugly, broken, sad cookie. I say let it cool for about 10 min or so before moving them.