This is the simplest and most delicious and addicting pasta sauce ever. I don’t know if I can go back to regular jarred sauces anymore! It truly is simple- only 3 ingredients- canned whole tomatoes (San Marzano if you are feeling rich), butter, and onion. It tastes like those fresh pasta sauces at Italian restaurants. It is tangy and sweet and buttery. I love it so much. I dare you to love it. And I know you will succeed.
1 can salted whole peeled tomatoes (I use the Trader Joe’s branded one bc it’s cheaper. If you are fancy, use San Marzano bc it’s like imported from Italy, but $2 more)
1 yellow onion, cut in half
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
salt to taste
1. In a medium pot, throw all the ingredients together.
2. Bring to boil. Once boiling, turn heat to low, and let simmer for 45 min.
3. As the sauce is simmering, use a spatula and crush the tomatoes to squeeze out the juices.
4. Once sauce is done, take out the onion. Add salt if you want.
5. Serve with pasta or anything really. It is so good.
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen.