I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving!!! I sure did – I went home and had a blast spending time with family in Lodi <3. It was a nice breath of slow paced fresh air. I sort of just didn’t do anything for a week and just forgot about everything. I baked, I cooked, I ate, I shopped, it was glorious! Although Black Friday deals weren’t as good as other years, I still managed to score a cast iron skillet for $20. For a hella good brand. I am so excited to use it when it arrives!!! I also just bought some basic clothes that wasn’t even on sale. However, I have been lurking on the Chinese website Aliexpress every night to find cheap stuff – and I mean really really cheap. I have bought 5 sweaters, 15 pieces of jewelry, boots, and skirts on it and I haven’t even spent $100 yet. It is nuts. And the shipping time isn’t as bad as everyone says – I get my stuff usually within 2-3 weeks. I think you should try it out! You might become obsessed with it like I am. And then laugh at all the US Black Friday deals and be like HAH. I can get it for cheaper directly from the source of where its made: China.
I am now back in SD with some turkey leftovers. I seriously gained 10 pounds over break. And yet I am still making food in my spare time. And it’s the holidays so there really isn’t stopping. Sighhhh! Anyway, a new discovery I made was the deliciousness of cranberry sauce with turkey everything. I have had it before, but for some reason never really became obsessed with it until this Thanksgiving. I slabbed it on everything and I really think it would be delicious slabbed onto this turkey pot pie too.
Turkey Pot Pie:
1-1 1/2 cup chopped cooked turkey meat
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup frozen chopped carrots
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 sprig of rosemary, leaves minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 15oz cans chicken broth (about 4 cups)
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp white wine (sherry or chardonnay)
salt and pepper
Rosemary Cheddar Biscuits:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 sprig rosemary, minced
2 slices cheddar cheese, sliced and diced
3 tbsp cold butter
3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
1. Preheat oven at 400 deg. Saute the onions and garlic until golden brown in a medium pot.
2. Add celery and rosemary.
3. Add peas and carrots. Add a splash of chicken broth.
4. Add flour. Stir quickly to coat veggies.
5. Add cream, wine, and chicken broth. Put the chopped turkey in. Let simmer on med-high for 15-20 min until it is reduced to a 1/3 of its original content and is thicker. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. While it is simmering, make the biscuits. Chop another sprig of rosemary. Slice cheddar cheese into little cubes or slices.
7. In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, black pepper, salt, and sugar.
8. Add the butter, cheese, and rosemary. Using hands, crumble mixture together until the butter pieces are pea size.
9. Add buttermilk.
10. Using fork, mash and mix until all the ingredients are combined. If its a tad bit dry, add a splash of buttermilk.
11. Once the filling is reduced, pour into a 8×8 pan.
12. Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, cut the biscuit batter into round 1/2 inch cuts. Plop them around the pan. Brush the tops with buttermilk.
13. Place in oven. Bake for 20-25 min, or until the tops are golden brown.