Tomato soup is one of my favorites-I sure wish I had a grilled cheese right now! I used to get the boxes of Trader Joes Tomato soup and drink it all the time. I really wanted the opportunity to make it myself because its obviously less processed and you can make it with the ingredients you like. I substituted heavy cream with light sour cream [or greek yogurt] and used some fresh tomatoes and basil. I got to control how much salt I put in and the consistency of the soup. I bought an immersion blender literally to make tomato soup haha. I dont really like creamy soups; I typically prefer broth-y ones. The blender is so handy to use! Through my search for an immersion blender, I figured there are two kinds that are similar: hand mixer and an immersion blender. They both look almost the same, but if you have a regular mixer or a stand alone one, the hand mixer is of no use. Immersion blenders puree food! So if you want to make hearty and creamy soups, I suggest you get one! I love my Cuisinart one!
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tomatoes on the vine, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp paprika
4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup Sour cream/greek yogurt/or heavy cream
1. Place olive oil in pan. Toss the onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Put the canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes into pan. Add the paprika, basil, brown sugar. Stir.
3. Let the tomato mixture simmer on the pan for a few minutes.
4. Add the tomato mixture into crockpot.
5. Add chicken broth and bay leaves.
6. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
7. Once done, stir in sour cream or whatever you are using. If you like your soup creamy, just add more cream.
8. Remove the bay leaves. Using the immersion blender, puree it until you get the consistency you like.
9. Garnish with a little bit of parmesan cheese and basil! Serve!