Hope you all enjoyed the SuperBowl and got to eat lots of yummy appetizers and burgers! I am a new football fan – getting into it more and more, year after year!!! I had a lovely time laughing at how silly the Broncos were playing and was basically blown away by the Seahawks defense and skill. BOW. Also, surprisingly, I enjoyed the Bruno Mars and RHCP performance during halftime A LOT. I don’t even like Bruno, but I might have just been converted into a fan! Such a great and entertaining old school performer – classy! (Then I came home and re-watched Beyonce’s performance last year and basically she still did it best – BOW AGAIN). Anyway, I was feeling lazy, compared to Superbowl last year when I made pretzel wrapped hotdogs and kale/quinoa cakes:
Although lazy, I managed to whip up a quick batch of chocolate chip cookies, always a crowd pleaser, and an easy spicy cheesy corn dip to go with the endless amounts of tortilla chips. I have to say the dip was super delicious!!! Now that football is over, there’s still basketball so serve this dip up at the next bball party!
1 16 oz bag of frozen corn
1 1/2 cups of frozen chopped onions (You can always use 1 whole fresh onion, chopped)
1-1 1/2 cup of frozen green peppers (You can always use 2-3 whole fresh green/yellow/red peppers, chopped)
1-2 jalapenos, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp black pepper
2-3 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
olive oil or butter
Preheat oven to 400 deg.
1. In a large pan, heat some olive oil or butter. Pour the corn, onions, garlic, jalapenos and green peppers into the pan.
2. Add the salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin to taste (you may need more spices depending on your liking). Stir.
3. Cook the corn mixture until brown and flavorful with no more liquid – about 15 min on med-high if the veggies are frozen-ish, or 10 min if thawed.
4. Once corn is done, put in a large bowl. Mix in mayonaise, 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese.
5. Place in 8×8 square pan.
6. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the corn mix. Sprinkle some more salt, pepper, and cumin on top of the cheese to taste.
7. Bake at 400 deg for 20 min, until cheese is bubbly.
8. Serve warm with chips!
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker.