Yes yes, still baking Christmas cookies hahah I found these mini M&Ms at Target for half price after Christmas and decided to get them. I wanted to make these for my sister and my visit to the office tomorrow! So excited these turned out wonderful. They are the perfect crispy outside and soft and chewy on the inside.
Here are some crispy on the outside/soft and chewy on the inside lessons:
For a softer/chewy cookie:
Use bread flour instead of all-purpose because of the gluten in the bread flour
Use a more brown sugar to white sugar ratio
Melt butter/soften in the microwave
Refrigerate or freeze the dough for 30 min to overnight for the best results
For a crispier cookie:
Use a more white sugar to brown sugar ratio
Add an additional egg white to the mix
Of course there needs to be a good balance between it all and for this M&M cookie, I think I found a good mixture of goods to produce a crispy on the outside and soft on the inside cookie! Enjoy!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp corn starch
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 11 oz package of mini M&Ms or mini M&Ms baking bits
1. Mix the flour, corn starch, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Using a mixer, cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
3. Add in the egg and vanilla. Mix.
4. Once incorporated, mix in the flour to form the cookie dough.
5. Add mini M&Ms by hand using a spatula.
6. Create 1 tbsp balls of the dough. Refrigerate for 30 min-1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Take out the cookie balls.
8. Bake the cookies for 10-12 min, until edges are golden brown.
9. Let cool and serve!
Recipe adapted from Rachel Cooks.